- About Lawrenceville Utilities
About Lawrenceville Utilities
The City of Lawrenceville was founded in 1821 and has been in the utility business more than 100 years! Lawrenceville Utilities, owned and operated by the City of Lawrenceville, is made up of three different departments, or utilities:
- Natural Gas
In 1903, Lawrenceville built its first power plant on a city lake. Led by Department Director Huston Gillis, today’s City of Lawrenceville Electric Department serves more than 12,000 customers with four substations and 16 circuits in Gwinnett County. Committed to service and the safety of the community, the department currently employs 18 people in the division, including 13 line workers.
The City of Lawrenceville Natural Gas Department was established in 1951 and currently serves approximately 50,000 customers in three counties:
It is the 2nd largest municipally-owned gas department in the State of Georgia. There are 43 employees in the division, led by Todd Hardigree, Department Director. Since 2015, the City of Lawrenceville Natural Gas Department has completed $32 million in upgrades for gas infrastructure.
The Sanitation Department collects all residential and most of the commercial solid waste in the City of Lawrenceville. A special service provided to City of Lawrenceville residents is Leaf Pick-Up Service in the fall.
All City of Lawrenceville sanitation customers residing within the city limits are provided with a 95-gallon roll-out trash cart for curbside collection of solid household waste.
The Sanitation Department operates on a four-day sanitation schedule, providing employees with a day dedicated to improving the upkeep of City streets, parks and public spaces commonly used by residents. Led by Department Manager Ray Long, there are 30 employees in the division. The Sanitation Department serves approximately 7,000 customers weekly.